The sun is shining, which can only mean one thing – it’s time for a picnic! It’s an age-old British tradition to run to the beach or park as soon as we see a hint of summer, and this year is no different. So dust off your blankets and dig out your picnic baskets because here are some vegan picnic ideas for you to pack for your next adventure!
Vegan Picnic Foods:
- Vegan sandwiches – Sandwiches are easy to make and can be easily packed in a cooler. Try sandwiches with hummus or avocado instead of mayonnaise; or add roasted vegetables on top. Grilled vegetables such as aubergine and courgette taste great on sandwiches too! Then pile these gorgeous vegan ingredients into gluten-free bread and you’ve got a winning sandwich!
- Vegetables to dip in hummus – One of the easiest, healthy snacks to pack up and go is hummus and veggies. Just chop up the vegetable of your choice, like carrot, cucumber or celery into sticks, and get a tub of hummus to dip them in. You can even buy flavoured hummus like red pepper hummus or avocado hummus to really make those veggies sing!
- Vegan Salad – Salad is always a good idea for picnics. You can make it ahead of time, or pack it in a tupperware container or a small cooler bag with ice packs. The best salads have veggies, fruit, nuts and seeds. Some simple recipes include, mixed greens with strawberries, blueberries and sliced almonds or a beetroot salad with sweet potato cubes.
- Cold pasta salad with pesto dressing – Pasta salad is a staple of any picnic. Add some gorgeous flavour with rich pesto and pine nuts and you’ve got one hearty side dish. Swap out the regular pasta for wheat-free pasta for a great gluten-free option.
- Raw snacks – If you want something healthy that’s not heavy on the carbs, try raw fruits like melon balls or sliced apples, or vegetables like cherry tomatoes or bell peppers. You can also pack dips like peanut butter for the apples, to make your fruit and veg a little more exciting.
- nākd. Bars – One of the easiest things to pack in your picnic basket is our gorgeous nākd. Fruit and Nut Bars. These delicious raw bars come in a variety of different flavours, so there’s something for the whole family to love! Our Strawberry Sundae and Lemon Drizzle snack bars, for example, are perfect for a British summer’s day.
If you’re planning a picnic for a group of people, you’re going to need some drinks! You can always bring water bottles and refill them from the tap on site but it might be more fun to bring something special. There are plenty of options out there: sparkling water, fruit juices and other non-alcoholic beverages are always nice because they keep well in coolers and don’t need ice packs!
- Watermelon lemonade – Watermelon is very hydrating, so this drink will keep you cool while you’re having fun at the park or beach. The watermelon also turns your drink a gorgeous pink colour, perfect for taking holiday snaps!
- Sparkling water with fresh fruit and herbs – Just like you infuse your still water, why not add some delicious fresh fruits and herbs to your sparkling water. Just fill up a pitcher with sparkling water and add some strawberries, mint, lime, lemon – whatever takes your fancy!
- Coconut water – Not only a delicious alternative to regular water, but good for you too! Coconut water contains electrolytes as well as other important nutrients which can leave you feeling refreshed and rehydrated – perfect after a game of rounders or tag!
- Vegan chocolate milkshake – Chocolate milkshakes are always amazing! Simply use coconut milk instead of cow’s milk and make it dairy-free and vegan-friendly! Coconut milk is also high in calcium, iron and potassium which means it’s great for your overall health as well as keeping you hydrated during those hot summer months! Add some berries or nuts if you want more flavour variation! Raspberries in particular pair excellently with cocoa flavours – just try our Raspberry Cocoa bar, drizzled with Vegan Chocolish, and see for yourself!
- Fruit juice – Sometimes the classics are the best, and you can never go wrong with a cold cup of juice. But instead of going for your obvious flavours like orange or apple juice why not try something different? Pineapple juice can be a great, refreshing option on a hot day, or try something more exotic like mango juice.
- Tea – Whether you like black tea, green tea or herbal tea, there are lots of options for keeping cool while enjoying a warm drink on a hot day. Try out some fruity teas like mango or strawberry green tea for an extra refreshing treat!
There we have it! Some delightful picnic ideas for you to try on your next outing. From yummy vegan picnic food, to amazingly refreshing drinks, your next picnic is sure to be unlike any other!
For more foodie inspiration, checkout our other nākd. Blogs on all things vegan food, from Vegan BBQ Food to Kids Snack Ideas, or try one of our delicious nākd. Recipes.