Summer is the perfect time to go on a road trip. Whether driving to the beach or a National Park, one thing is for sure – you’re going to need some snacks! There’s nothing worse than your belly rumbling on a country road with no service station in site, so it’s best to be prepared. Here are just a few vegan road trip snacks to pack for your next adventure.
There are lots of great snack options out there for vegans, but only a few that can work well in a car. You’ve got to think of foods that create minimal mess, are good to eat at any time of the day and that are easy to eat and hold. Luckily there are some delicious vegan foods that fit this criteria! Better yet, the below road trip snacks are the very best (in our humble opinion), but the majority of them are healthy too. That’s a win win if ever we saw one!
1. Roasted Chickpeas – There has never been a better hand held snack than roasted chickpeas. These crispy, golden balls can be easily made at home by simply roasting chickpeas in the oven, or bought in the shops whilst you’re on the road. They can be sprinkled with the flavour of your choice like salt or even paprika for a hit of spice.
2. Breadsticks – Did you know traditional Italian breadsticks are vegan? But be sure to check the ingredients if you’re buying them from the shops. These carb filled wonders are a great filling snack to keep you satisfied for a long period of time.
3. Our very own nākd. Bars – Our raw bars are the perfect on the go snack! With a variety of flavours to choose from, there will be something for every passenger to enjoy. They’re also gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan friendly to suit different dietary requirements. Why not take a mixed case for the road to get a taste of all your favourite flavours.
4. Vegan Sweets – Is there anything better than chewy, gorgeous sweets to kick start your holiday? Good news, there have been huge strides in vegan sweets so that you can find plant based and cruelty free sweets in pretty much any flavour! Just always make sure you check the credentials on the packaging, then enjoy the sugar rush!
5. Rice Cakes – A classic snack for good reason – they are low calorie and delicious. They can be eaten on their own or with a delicious spread like peanut butter, just make sure to pack some napkins!
6. Vegan muffins – The ultimate sweet snack for adults and kids alike – perfect for keeping the little ones happy in the back of the car. Pack gorgeous flavours like lemon or blueberry muffins so that you can have them for breakfast, lunch, or as a late night snack, depending on what time you are travelling.
7. Homemade Trail Mix – The best way to ensure your trial mix has all the ingredients you love is to make it yourself. This also ensures that no nasty additives are included, instead, just yummy fresh ingredients. Simply combine fruit, nuts, seeds and cacao nibs for a hint of healthier chocolate.
8. Dried Fruit – A great way to enjoy fruit without the mess! No one wants to be stuck in the car with a banana peel or apple core, so dried fruits are a great option. You can take a delicious mix of dried dates, apricots, mangoes, berries, whatever you like! They’re also a good source of natural sugar to keep your energy levels up on a long journey.
9. Kale crisps – A fun alternative to potato crisps, kale crisps are rich in nutrients, vitamins and minerals, as well as being delicious! They are simply made by dehydrating pieces of kale until they become crispy and dry, so you can have a go at making them yourself or buying them from the shops.
10. Edamame With Sea Salt – You may have seen edamame on a Japanese menu but have you ever thought about packing them as a delicious snack? Well you should! These little green soybeans are packed with protein and vitamin E. Finish with a small sprinkling of salt to help bring its gorgeous flavour to life.
So what are you waiting for? Get creative with your snacks next time you go on a road trip. With so many yummy options to pick from, it’s time to throw out the standard crisps and try something new. After all, a road trip is a great adventure so why not get a little adventurous with your snacking!